The Art Gallery of South Australia was founded in 1881. It is located at the heart of Adelaide’s cultural boulevard, North Terrace, between the South Australian Museum and University of Adelaide.
This Collection began when Dr John Orde Poynton generously donated 3,700 Old Master prints in 1959. In 1964, the Collection was enhanced by Harold Wright’s bequest of half his collection of Lionel Lindsay prints and prints by W. P. Robins and H. J. Stuart Brown. It has since been supplemented by gifts and purchases to number over 8,000 prints and volumes from the 15th to the 20th centuries, including paintings.